Sunday, November 28, 2010

Just plain angry

I'm not a fan of television anymore.

It seems for every brilliantly written show or cartoon there's some piece of crap out there lurking in prime time and hoping to destroy everything about the art of the moving picture we hold dear.

Most of them are 'reality' shows.

Now obviously these shows are scripted and then edited way down in order to make anything resembling action and drama occur, but the sheer amount of these shows that pour out of basic and cable stations is overwhelming. Now I could list some examples of these but I figure you probably know of a few examples of your own.

I used to wish they'd bring back the physical-based game shows I grew up with, but the best they could manage to come up with is an MXC knockoff called Wipeout. I mean come on guys! I don't want to see some fat little kids bump into a foam cut-out and be knocked about six inches backwards into a shallow pool! I want to see some fat little kid get tangled in a rope net, dangle precariously over a flimsy metal pole, and drop about eight feet into a freezing (and possibly infrequently cleaned) pool of water like in Legends of the Hidden Temple (I really shouldn't need to link that)!

Basically what I'm saying TV execs, is that if people are not straining themselves to their peak mental and physical capabilities then I want to see children hurt themselves for crappy prizes and self glorification. If you can't make that happen then I'm going back to my completely fictional shows. They're shot better anyway.

I'm also angry about politics come to think of it. There are way too many reasons for that, but the major one is that we need taxes to be raised to offset the deficit. Now raising them across the board would be a huge dick move considering the financial recession that we're still in, but if we raised them for the top earners... Say... The people making $250,000 or more a year I figure it might make a difference.

And don't bring up 'trickle-down' economics. That shit doesn't work. The argument that the rich will just take their money elsewhere or lie to undercut the $250,000 earning limit? That's why we have federal regulatory committees or, better yet, the FBI. Let's focus a little bit more on domestic terrorism guys. That includes fear mongers in political parties who make up all sorts of bullshit while they try to cover their own ass. Personally? That makes me scared.

And if I'm scared then the terrorists have already won. Maybe.

Although I'm guessing most terrorists care less about our country living in a state of fear (we manage that just fine on our own thanks) and more about killing us for religious, socio-economic, and/or patriotic reasons.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but even if foreign dependence on oil isn't the main cause of our continued involvement in the Middle East it sure as hell isn't helping us get out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment